Thursday, August 18, 2011

Read 2 Self Day 3!

Today, I placed the students around the classroom in places that are perfect for Daily 5 Read to Self. Once each student was in a spot, we began timing our stamina. Our first round lasted one minute and thirty seconds. The second round went for an entire three minutes! I was so excited! Our final round was around one minute and thirty seconds. We debriefed after each round and discussed what good choices were made and a few things we need to work on to increase our stamina for tomorrow. We charted our stamina and we are focused on reaching our goal of ten minutes during this next couple of weeks. I personally hope they can make it a little longer than ten minutes, but we will have to see. 











4 comments:

  1. So great to see you doing the Daily 5. I will be following your progress. I have wanted to do the daily 5 with my kinders but I just haven't found the right model, or other teacher example, that wasn't modified so far from the Daily 5's original intent. Great job! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daily 5 is absolutely wonderful and K students are fully capable! It's worth your while to study up and just dive into it! I would be happy to help with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you check in from each round do you have the kids put their book boxes away?
    Mrs. Mapa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Fines, I too have found that Kinders are fully capable of doing Daily 5. I do modify in my class by doing Work on Writing with all my students at the beginning of our Daily 5 time. I found this works best for me so that I can meet with each student about their writing. I would say in Kindergarten especially the most important time is the first 9 weeks. I do not start any small groups until after 9 weeks of training. But that is just works for me and might not be what works for everyone.
    Mrs. Mapa

    ReplyDelete