In reading this week, we continued to practice our first two choices Read to Self and Work on Writing and we did so well with those that we were able to learn our third choice, Word Work this week. We talked about how at this choice we do not need to have our book boxes. The other two choices our book boxes are a must to complete the choice. For Word Work, we have different materials and items that are needed. We will have several options at Word Work eventually, but this week we started off by using our white boards, markers, erasers and an alphabet page and a page with all of our class names on it. We built stamina by writing our letters and class names for the entire choice. This is great practice for us to write, write, write so we are ready to begin words and sentences in a few weeks! Eventually, we will have other options like Play-doh, magna doodles and more!
Our CAFE strategies this week focused on print concepts of a book. We learned all about each part of a book, the front cover, back cover, spine, title page, where to start reading, where to go after each word and so on. We even got to practice all of these on a book by ourselves to show how much we have learned!
We have continued to focus on all of the letter sounds like week. We focused in on a few different letters each day, as well as completed our morning daily review every day by practicing all of our letters. In our daily review, we will soon be adding the sight words as well to be practicing reading and numbers!
Our new sight words: can, we
**Be sure to keep the white sight word cards from week to week and continue to practice all of them as new ones are sent home every week.
Our Poem of the Week:
This week we continued to focus on writing specific letters in the alphabet. The letters this week were Jj, Qq, Uu, Ss. Everyday we go through an alphabet chart, sing a song all about that specific letter, trace a letter page with the uppercase and lowercase letter and complete another activity or craft that goes along with the letter. We love learning what each new letter will be everyday!
We completed our very first math vocabulary entry this week! At the beginning of every week we will have a new vocab word that goes with math! Our word this week was the word number line. We learned what a number line is and how to draw one. We then added this new idea to our number of the day and will continue to write number lines every single day in math. This number line will be used later in the year for adding and subtracting as well. Another concept we practiced this week was using a ten frame. We rolled a dice to see a number and then colored in a ten frame according to the number that was rolled.
This week was all about Families!
- Monday--We were not at school because of Labor Day! I hope you all enjoyed your time home!
- Tuesday--We completed a class chart brainstorming things that families “have, live in and like to do”.
- Wednesday--We read a story about different types of families and how no two families are exactly alike.
- Thursday--We shared pictures of our families and told about things we like to do with them.
- Friday--We completed a family page where we drew each member of our families in a house!
**The picture below was the only one I got this week during content time because I was too excited about seeing and hearing all of the students talk about their families when showing off their photos that I completely forgot to take pictures of them sharing. Trust me when I tell you it was incredibly sweet and they sure do love their families!
PRACTICE AT HOME:
Have your child draw a number line for you at home! Tell them a number to circle and then switch and have them tell you a number to circle until all of the numbers have been circled!
- In reading we will learn a few more choices with Word Work, our new choice Read to Someone AND we will begin using our classroom iPads!
- In writing we will continue learning a letter every day!
- In math we learn about a rectangular array.
- Our theme next week is all about colors!
- 9/19 School Pictures
- 9/22 Field Trip to Exploration Acres (more information to come)
- 9/29 Author Visit
- 10/14 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- Week of 10/17-10/21 Parent/Teacher Conferences